Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Strawberry-Pineapple Pie


Back before I started blogging, I used to make pies all the time. I made one for each holiday. Since I began blogging, I rarely make pies anymore, focusing my attention on cupcakes and cakes. I'm going to start mixing things up and make more pies again. When I saw this recipe, I knew right away I had to make it. I love pineapple and Randy loves strawberries, so this pie is a perfect fit—just like we are.

While this pie was good, I think I went a little overboard squeezing all the juice out of the pineapple. I was so worried that I would have a runny pie that I squeezed and squeezed the pineapple until it yielded not a drop of juice. Also, while pineapple and strawberries are very sweet, the addition of the lemon cut their sweetness. I think I would add an 1/8 cup more sugar next time, plus sprinkle the crust with sugar.

Make sure you cover the edges of the pie crust, so they don't get overbrowned like mine. I have a pie crust protector and popped it on about 20 minutes into baking. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice that it was too big for my pie pan and exposed the crust too much.

All in all this was a good summertime pie and I think with the changes I mentioned above, it would be even better. I'm going to give it another try.

Strawberry-Pineapple Pie
Source: Adapted from Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters as seen on Milk & Honey

Ingredients:
2 favorite crust recipes (I used store-bought because I am lazy.)
2 (20 oz.) cans unsweetened crushed pineapple (packed in juice)
1 and 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup, plus 2 and 1/2 tablespoons juice from pineapple
1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pie dough onto the bottom of a greased pie dish and set in fridge until filling is done.

Pour the pineapple into a sieve set over a bowl and allow to drain for 30 minutes. Use a spatula to gently press the pineapple to remove as much of the juice as possible. (Do NOT go overboard and squeeze every last drop of juice until the pineapple is dry!) Reserve and measure the juice.

In a bowl, whisk together 2 1/2 tablespoons of reserved juice and cornstarch until thoroughly combined. Add remaining half cup of juice, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt, and whisk until combined. Add the pineapple and strawberries and stir gently until evenly coated.

Add fruit mixture to pie shell. Add top crust and seal edges. Cut slits near center of pie. If desired, brush the top crust and edges with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 20 minutes and check crust for browning. Loosely cover crust with foil or a pie crust protector (make sure it fits!) Bake another 20 - 25 minutes until crust is evenly browned. Cool pie on a rack for at least two hours.

1 comment:

  1. You should join the pie making blogging group "You want pies with what!?"
    pieswiththat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete