Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Enchilada Stack

I had planned to make enchiladas for dinner, but the corn tortillas weren't having it. Each time I filled and rolled one, it split in half. I tried rolling the tortillas when they were cold and warmed in the microwave, but I had no luck. I cut my losses and went back to the drawing board. I decided to just make a deconstructed enchilada instead. It was kinda like enchilada lasagna or an enchilada stack. I didn't have high hopes for this dinner, but boy was I surprised. It was delicious! I loved the flavor of the slightly sweet corn tortillas with the spicy meat and bean mixture and mild green enchilada sauce. I just love it when a dinner fail turns into a winner!

Enchilada Stack

1.5 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles (undrained)
4 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
18 small corn tortillas
1.5–2 cans green (or red) enchilada sauce (or 2 cups homemade)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown the ground beef (or turkey) and drain. Add corn, black beans, green chiles, taco seasoning, and water and mix well. Heat mixture until thoroughly heated and set aside.

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and layer six tortillas on the bottom on the pan, overlapping the tortillas.

Cover tortillas with one-half of the meat mixture, and drizzle 1/2 can of enchilada sauce on top. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese, and cover with six more tortillas. Repeat with meat mixture, 1/2 can enchilada sauce, 1/3 cup cheese, and remaining six tortillas.

Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes until top is nice and crispy.

Garnish with salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, and cilantro (if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment