Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Scalloped Potatoes

Growing up, we always ate scalloped potatoes from the box. I'm not going to lie, I loved those cheesy, salty orange potatoes. I've had homemade versions, but they did not stand up to the box. I found them oily and grainy, and the cheese always seemed to separate. After we gave up most processed foods, I had no choice but to make my own. And I'm glad I did. These were creamy and cheesy, and the sauce did not get oily nor did it separate. So I've been converted and will never eat those orange scalloped potatoes from the box again.

Scalloped Potatoes
Source: inspired by Southern Food.com via Pinterest

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt, pepper, paprika (to taste)
2 cups milk (I used skim.)
1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a pan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour.
Whisk in milk, and turn down heat to low.
Add ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Cook on low, stirring until sauce has thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup cheese.
Arrange potatoes in a layer on the bottom of the baking pan.
Top with sauce and cheese.
Repeat with the rest of the layers.
Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment