Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Meatloaf


I hated meatloaf growing up. My mom used to make it with tons of onions. It was dry and I refused to eat it. My husband loves meatloaf. When we first met, I told him I would never make it for him. So he made it for me. And I didn't hate it. I actually really liked it. He found a recipe in a magazine from Heinz and adapted it to our tastes. It has a sweet glaze that is balanced by the salty bacon and crunchy green peppers. I can't believe I didn't like meatloaf before.

Adapted from Heinz

Meatloaf:
2 pounds ground beef
6 - 8 slices uncooked bacon
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Heinz ketchup
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic (minced or powder)
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
ground black pepper

Glaze:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard 
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Combine above ingredients and mix well.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray the bottom of a baking dish with nonstick spray.
Combine all meatloaf ingredients, except bacon.
Mix with hands to combine.
Place mixture in pan and shape into a loaf.
Top with glaze.
Place strips of bacon on top. 
Bake 1 hour - 1 hour and 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment