Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Cookies


Peanut Butter Blossoms (left) and Island Cookies (right)

I wanted to make a ton of different cookies this year, but I ran out of time. I finally decided on four kinds: toffee-studded snickerdoodles, oatmeal cranberry white chocolate chip, peanut butter blossoms, and Island cookies (coconut milk chocolate chip). I have to say that I honestly love all of these cookies, but the oatmeal cranberry white chocolate chip are my new favorites. I made the peanut butter blossoms before and they never disappoint. I've never made the Island cookies and I was worried if anyone would eat them since they are filled with coconut. Well they were a hit as well. They were soft and chewy and stayed that way until they were gone. I arranged the cookies on a Christmas gift from my wonderful husband: a pretty plate atop a pedestal to display my treats for my blog. He's so thoughtful.

Peanut Butter Blossoms
adapted from: Hershey

Ingredients:
40 Hershey's Kisses (I only get 40 cookies)
1
stick butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons for rolling cookies
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove foil from Hershey's kisses.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
Beat butter and peanut butter until well blended.
Add 1/3 cup sugar and brown sugar to peanut butter mixture and beat until fluffy.
Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat well.
Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture.
Roll dough into balls and roll in sugar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
After removing from oven, press a kiss into center of each cookie.
Cookie will crack around edges. (I wish they wouldn't.) 
Transfer from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool.

Island Cookies
adapted from 25 Years of Favorite Brand Name Cooking

Ingredients:
1 and 2/3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 sticks butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 egg
1 package milk chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
Beat butter, brown sugar, sugar, and coconut extract until fluffy.
Add egg and beat well.
Stir in chocolate chips and coconut.
Roll into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
Transfer from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment