Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Drunken Cherries

This recipe was given to me by my husband. He wanted me to make these for him to give as Christmas presents. After he tasted them, however, he decided he was going to keep them all and only share a few. I don't blame him. They're addicting! The recipe called for plain rum, but I only had smoked and pineapple, so I decided to use the pineapple run to give them a pineapple upside-down cake flavor. The cherries turned out great! They were a sweet, boozy, and chocolately treat. Make these for the adults, but hide them from the kids!  

Drunken Cherries
Source: adapted from Taste of Home, December 2012

50 maraschino cherries (with stems)
1/2 cup pineapple rum
1 teaspoon shortening
4 oz. chocolate

Drain maraschino cherries from juice and soak overnight in pineapple rum.
Drain cherries (save rum for making drinks while you dip the cherries or discard).
Pat cherries dry and place on paper towels to completely dry.*
Melt chocolate a few pieces at a time with a little bit of the shortening in the microwave or over a double boiler. (I always use the microwave.) Be sure to stir often.
Dip the cherries into the melted chocolate, and place on waxed paper or parchment paper.


*Make sure cherries are completely dry before dipping in chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment