Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Turkey and Chorizo Chili

My husband wanted me to make this chili that I whipped up recently, but I couldn't find poblano peppers at the grocery store. So I decided to mix it up a bit and create a new chili. I used a bell pepper instead of the poblano pepper and turkey instead of beef. Then I added Mexican chorizo to amp up the flavor. I also added fire-roasted tomatoes with chipotle peppers, white beans, and light red kidney beans. The results were saucy, spicy, and satisfying—nothing short of delicious. It was not as rich or sweet as the other chili, but it packed some heat, which I really enjoyed. If you're looking to add something a little different to your chili, add some chorizo. You won't be disappointed.

Turkey and Chorizo Chili
Source: adapted from Taste of Home, August/September 2012 and Hanover

1/2 pound Mexican chorizo (casings removed)
1 pound ground turkey
1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
1 large can (40 oz.) light red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 large can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
1 small can (15 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 small can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers 
2 small cans (15 oz.) white beans (one drained and rinsed)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips for garnish (optional)

Brown chorizo in a large skillet and add to a crock pot. Brown turkey in chorizo drippings and add to crock pot. Add peppers, tomatoes, beans, spices, and sauce, and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment