Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies

Martha Stewart has failed me again! Well, these are technically not a failure, but they are not what I had envisioned. As I rolled the cookie dough into little balls and placed them on the cookie sheets, I was dreaming of soft sugar cookies studded with Andes white chocolate peppermint pieces and mini chocolate chips. Then I baked them. The little dough balls spread out into flat, thin puddles, producing a super crispy cookie. I think I overbaked the first batch. They weren't getting brown on the edges, so I let them bake a few extra minutes. This resulted inedible rock-like cookies. (think drink coasters!) I underbaked the next batch, and these cookies were much better. The result was a thin minty cookie with a crispy exterior and chewy interior.



Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
source: adapted from Everyday Food, December 2012

2 and 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter (softened)
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 egg
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup Andes peppermint crunch baking chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. 
Beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy. 
Add egg and peppermint extract and beat well.
Turn the mixer to lower, and gradually beat in flour mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips and peppermint crunch baking chips.
Roll dough into balls and place at least 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
Cool on baking sheets for 2 - 4 minutes and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment