Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Strawberry Colada Cupcakes

This month, I'm the host of our What's Baking challenge, and I chose Bake Your Favorite Cocktail. I am a wine and beer girl, but I do enjoy a cocktail now and again—especially on a hot summer day when I'm floating in the pool. My drink of choice is coconut rum mixed with cranberry juice with a splash of pineapple juice. I decided to use coconut rum and pineapple rum in the cupcakes, and I subbed strawberry for the cranberry in the icing to come up with a strawberry colada cupcake. They were a frozen drink in cake form!

Strawberry Colada Cupcakes
1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines.)
3 egg whites
3/4 cup water 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons coconut rum
2 tablespoons pineapple rum
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line four mini cupcake tins with 48 mini cupcake liners.
Mix together all ingredients except shredded coconut on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
Fold in shredded coconut.
Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake about 10–12 minutes.
Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.

Strawberry Whipped Frosting
1 container vanilla Cool Whip Frosting
3–4 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Stir together frosting and strawberry jam until just combined. 
Spread frosting on cupcakes and then dip tops in shredded coconut.
Store cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment