Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

Pumpkin Chili with Chorizo and Sweet Potatoes

I love all things fall. It's my favorite time of year, despite the cooler temperatures. Fall brings colorful leans, crisp air, sweet apples, and pumpkins—the latter of which I also adore. When I saw this recipe, I knew it would be a hit for a chilly fall day. And I was right! The spicy chorizo paired great with the sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and spices. I also baked pumpkin cornbread, which was the perfect accompaniment. You need to whip up a batch of this chili!

Pumpkin Chili with Chorizo and Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from Tidy Mom

1 pound Mexican chorizo (casings removed)
1 pound ground turkey
2 poblano peppers (seeded and chopped)
1 medium sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
2 cans (15 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (15 oz.) white northern beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
1 large can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Chili seasoning
(I made my own from chili powder, ancho chili powder, onion powder, cumin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt.)

Brown chorizo and turkey in a large skillet and drain grease. Add to crock pot.
Meanwhile, peel and chop the sweet potato and chop the peppers. Add to crock pot.
Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, beans, sauce, and spices and mix well.
If too thick, add a little water. 
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment