Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes


I recently had a cupcake order and decided to stray from my tried and true chocolate cupcake recipe to try this Martha Stewart recipe. This recipe had so much promise. It promised rich, tender, chocolate cupcakes and it promised to only dirty one bowl. Martha has never failed me in the past...until now.

The promise of dirtying one bowl was the only promise Martha kept. Now don't get me wrong, these weren't terrible. The chocolate flavor was good, but the texture was very dry. When I unwrapped the cupcake, the bottom was so dry that it separated from the rest of the cupcake and stuck to the wrapper. I followed the recipe, and the only change I made was substituting canola oil for safflower oil. I also didn't overbake these, so I don't know what happened. Reviews said the batter would be thin, but mine was not. I was disappointed with this recipe. I know that I should have never tried to use a new recipe for a cupcake order. It resulted in me having to make a whole new batch of my go-to chocolate cupcakes.

I iced these "rejects" with the leftover vanilla buttercream from the cupcake order and put some fun sayings on them for some friends who were coming over for a cookout. My friends really enjoyed them, but I still stand by my review: too dry. 

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
Source: Martha Stewart as seen on Cate's World Kitchen
yields about 16 cupcakes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons safflower oil (I used canola.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake pans with 16 cupcake liners.

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Add eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix with a fork just until combined.

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18 - 22 minutes.

Cool cupcakes in the pans for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment