Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Mac & Cheese

I'm not a huge fan of homemade mac and cheese. It's usually oily, too thick, or has no flavor. I never made it myself, so I really have no room to talk. Well, until now. I have to say while this was good, it was a little too thick. I'm guessing it needed more milk or less cheese. I'll have to play with this recipe a little until I perfect it to my liking. Otherwise, this was really good for my first try—flavorful and not oily.

Mac & Cheese
adapted from Family Circle, Oct. 17, 2009 issue

Ingredients:
1 pound macaroni (I used shells)
16 oz. shredded cheese
(4 oz. pepper jack, 4 oz. monterey jack, 8 oz. sharp cheddar)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 - 2 tablespoons bread crumbs

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.

Bring a pot of salted water to boiling. Add pasta and boil for 8 - 10 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and bubbly. Pour milk in a thin stream into saucepan and whisk until well blended. Stir in onion salt, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in 12 oz. of cheese.

Pour cheese sauce over pasta and mix well. Transfer to baking dish and top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.

Bake for 20 - 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment