Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Muffins

I never make muffins, but recently a ton of muffin recipes have been coming my way. One in particular caught my eye: Chocolate Chip Muffins. I usually stay away from muffins because of my addiction to cupcakes with mile-high frosting on top. A muffin just seems naked to me. But there was something about this recipe that kept me coming back to it. I think it was the addition of buttermilk. I love buttermilk in recipes because it adds an irresistible tang. These muffins tasted like chocolate chip cookies with that familiar tang of buttermilk. I had to give some of them away so I didn't devour them all.

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Muffins
Source: Melissa Bakes

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 and 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I used a mix of semi-sweet and white chocolate chips.)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cupcake or muffin tin with 12 paper liners.

Melt butter in microwave for one minute and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until well blended. Next, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid mixture into the well. Gently stir until combined and then stir in chocolate chips.

Fill liners about 3/4 full and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for 17 - 20 minutes and cool muffins completely on a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. My my my. I can't begin to describe how these "muffins" tasted. I can honestly say that they're the best I've ever had--of ANY flavor--not just chocolate chip. It's the flavor of a chocolate chip cookie, but the texture of a dense cake. These are to die for. Thank you SO much for sharing your recipe. We'll be making these again and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were great! I substituted the butter with light butter spread (Land o lakes) and low fat buttermilk instead of regular. I calculated the nutrition facts and each has 250 calories with the substitutions. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete