Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce


I saw this recipe for pumpkin alfredo sauce in an issue of Food Network Magazine and put it away to make another day. I completely forgot about it until I found a can of pumpkin hiding in the back of my cupboard. I couldn't stand the thought of making another pumpkin dessert, so I decided to incorporate it into something savory instead. I love pumpkin in veggie lasagna, but I wasn't in the mood for lasagna. I remembered the pumpkin alfredo recipe and decided it was time to try it. I really enjoyed this sauce. It was a little on the heavy side, but what alfredo sauce isn't! The pumpkin flavor was very subtle and the shallot added a great flavor to the sauce. If you're looking for a simple, out-of-the-ordinary sauce to top your pasta, then this recipe is for you.

Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
Source: Food Network Magazine, October 2012

1 tablespoon butter
1 small shallot, finely chopped (I only used half.)
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (Plus more for topping.)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. 
Add the shallot and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft. 
Stir in the pumpkin and nutmeg and cook for a few more minutes. 
Whisk in heavy cream and bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
Whisk in cheese until melted.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Top your favorite pasta with the sauce and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. 

Tip: If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it with either a small amount of warm milk or reserved cooking water from your pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great way to use up leftover pumpkin puree and make dinner!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete