Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Banana Coconut "Muffins"

I saw these a few weeks ago on a fellow nestie's blog. They combined two of my favorite flavors, so I knew right away I had to make these. The perfect opportunity arose when my husband's friend, Matt, who loves coconut, came over swimming. These were summer in a cupcake, plus so easy to whip together. I will be making these again very soon. Matt along with my coconut hating husband gave me rave reviews. The only problem was that these baked up fast and I ended up burning a few. Next time, I will bake these at a lower temperature and for less time. I think baking these in cupcake pans was the problem, but I don't have muffin pans.

Banana Coconut Muffins
source: Epicurious via Joelen's Culinary Adventures

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (3/4 cup)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions:
Put oven rack in middle position.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Next time I will bake at 350 degrees)
Line muffin cups with liners. (I used cupcake pans. Recipe yielded 14 cupcakes.)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
Whisk together bananas, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well.
Fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
Fill muffin liners two-thirds of the way full and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. (I only baked these for 15 minutes.)
Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment