Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Madalyn's first birthday



I can't believe our niece is 1 years old already. I was tasked with making the cakes. Yes, you heard me right, cakes! I made a layered half sheet cake, a butterfly cupcake cake, and a small flower cupcake cake for the birthday girl to smash. Again I spent way too much time agonizing over these cakes. I didn't have much to go on for inspiration other than a napkin. For the cake, I make a vanilla 2-layer cake with very vanilla buttercream filling and I iced it with very vanilla buttercream. I did everything freehand. I'm getting really good at butterflies and my writing has improved. This cake took me forever to decorate since I didn't have a plan. It came out OK, it could have been better.

The cupcake cake was something I never did before. It was very easy. I just pushed the cupcakes together to look like a butterfly and iced away. I really liked the way this one came out. I made chocolate and vanilla cupcake iced with very vanilla buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment