Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mexican Sour Cream Rice

I marked down this recipe a few months ago and completely forgot about it. A few days ago, I was looking for recipes to use up leftover cilantro and this recipe was suggested on the cooking board I frequent. I wanted something different to go with chicken tacos. We usually eat refried or black beans on the side. This dish was very good and very filling. It has a nice kick to it. I did use reduced fat sour cream and Neufchatel cream cheese to lighten it up a bit. This went perfectly with chicken tacos. It made a lot, so next time I will probably half the recipe. I actually ended up eating the leftover chicken over the rice. I don't think the cilantro added anything special, so I would probably make this without it next time unless I had it on hand. This recipe is also versatile, so next time I think I'll add black beans and salsa to it. This is a keeper.

Mexican Sour Cream Rice
adapted from Allrecipes as seen on Lemons & Love

Ingredients:
2 bags boil-in-bag white rice
1 cup sour cream (I used low-fat.)
2 oz. cream cheese (I used Neufchatel.)
1 small can diced green chilies
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar.)
1 can corn, drained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Pepper and garlic salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Make rice according to directions on box.
Drain rice and transfer back to pot.
Season rice with pepper and garlic salt.
Add sour cream, cream cheese, green chilies, corn, half of the cheese, and cilantro to the rice and mix well.
Transfer to baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting way to prepare rice...rice meets mac and cheese? I'll have to try it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete