Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fourth of July "FIZZBALL" Cake

So every Fourth of July, we head to the Shady Lane cousins' house. They have a huge party every year filled with the four Fs: Food, Fun, Fireworks and Fizzball. Yes, Fizzball. You may ask what is Fizzball? Well, Fizzball is a drinking game created by my cousins' friends. Basically, it's a drunken game of baseball. A can of (awful, skunky, nasty) beer (such as Milwaukee's Best) is shaken and pitched to the batter. The batter uses a bat, paddle, etc. to hit the can of beer. Points are given by a panel of judges and are based on style, flair, bribery, etc. If the batter strikes out, he must drink the nasty can of beer.

Here's a pic of the Suckhead Mooses. My husband, Randy, is at the left, my Uncle Bill is in the center, and my cousin, Bill, is at the right. The did not win this year. They had cool moose hats, though.
This year I was tasked with making the Fizzball Cake. I dedicated it to last year's winners (the Swinging Sams) and the runners up (the Suckhead Mooses, which happens to be my husband's team). Of course I had to get a nasty beer in there somewhere (sorry, Mountain Crest lovers).

I used a french vanilla boxed cake since I wasn't entirely sure if this cake would be eaten or smashed. (It was eaten!) I dyed the batter red, white, and blue for the Fourth, and frosted it with my Very Vanilla Buttercream Icing. I've been told it tastes like vanilla ice cream.

Very Vanilla Buttercream Icing (makes enough to frost a sheet cake)
Ingredients:
2 pounds of powdered sugar (make sure it's 10X)
2 sticks of salted butter (room temperature)
4-6 tablespoons water (or any other liquid of choice)
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Madagascar)

Directions:
Beat butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and water until you reach desired consistency.
Stir in last teaspoon of vanilla.
Frost away!

No comments:

Post a Comment