Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Pirate Ship cake

I was commissioned to make a birthday cake for my cousin, Joey, who recently tuned 15. I was only given two words: vanilla and pirates. I spent a few hours last week making skulls and crossbones for the cake and all of them broke. So I came up with plan B: a pirate ship cake. The cake was two-layers of vanilla cake with marshmallow filling and vanilla buttercream icing. The birthday boy loved it, and so did everyone else. Not even a crumb remained. I used my go-to vanilla cake and icing recipes, which I've posted before, and I tried out a new recipe for marshmallow icing. It was delicious and very sticky, so it worked well between the layers. I don't know how well it would work to ice an entire cake, though.

Marshmallow Icing
1 stick butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
7 oz. container of marshmallow fluff
Cream together butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Fold in marshmallow fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment